Thursday, October 23, 2014

Canada: Expect Tougher Security Laws After Yesterday's Attack

A police dog and an officer inspect flowers laid by Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau and others at the Canadian War Memorial in downtown Ottawa October 23, 2014. Credit: REUTERS/Blair Gable

Canada's Harper Pledges Tougher Security Laws After Attack -- Reuters

(Reuters) - Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper pledged more surveillance and detention powers for security forces in Canada on Thursday after a gunman killed a soldier and raced through parliament before being shot dead.

Addressing the House of Commons just meters from the spot where the gunman, a reported convert to Islam, was shot dead on Wednesday, Harper said lawmakers would expedite new powers to counter the threat of radicals.

"The objective of these attacks was to instill fear and panic in our country," Harper said. "Canadians will not be intimidated. We will be vigilant, but we will not run scared. We will be prudent but we will not panic."

Read more ....

Update: Ottawa shooting: Expect increased police presence on streets -- CBC News

My Comment: It was about 24 - 25 years ago .... when I was working at ICAO (the UN's civil aviation organization based in Montreal) .... that I did my first trip to Ottawa to see a friend who at that time was working on Parliament Hill. I was stunned on the near absence of security and armed guards. I just walked in, registered, and I got permission to go to my friend's office.

No more now. That innocence is now gone.

This is when I sometimes wonder if the terrorists are winning ... and in a certain way I cannot help but feel that they are.

No comments: