Monday, June 26, 2017

What Will Putin Do Next?

Russian President Vladimir Putin at a Moscow media conference, June 15, 2017. REUTERS/Sergei Karpukhin

Peter Apps, Reuters: The dangers of putting Putin under pressure

How will Vladimir Putin respond to the growing challenges against him? The Russian president, who turns 65 in October, might presently look unassailable - but maintaining that grip will get harder every year.

Compared to British Prime Minister Theresa May or U.S. President Donald Trump, the Russian president faces scant internal opposition. Recent anti-corruption protests, however, provided him a reminder that no leader can remain in power forever.

Putin will almost certainly win the March presidential elections. His poll ratings remain high, and Russians have little appetite for the chaos that his fall might bring.

But that doesn’t mean there are no rivals waiting for him to stumble.

Read more ....

WNU Editor: Unlike the last election .... no one is saying that Putin is going to retire before next year's Russian Presidential elections. But this will be Russian President Putin's last election .... Vladimir Putin: I don’t want to rule Russia for life (The Guardian). After that .... Peter Apps is right .... who will succeed Putin in 2024 is where the real battle will be.

6 comments:

fazman said...

Whats with the layout of articles on my phone, complete with adds.
WNU is this your doing or mu stupid samsung oh?

Peter rigters said...

I have troubles with that new lay out as well sir and im on iphone
A bit too much adds for my liking indeed , quitte dissapointing
Never the less the high quality of this blog and the news it covers is still
Excellent

Peter rigters said...

Thanks W.N.U for the daily read of real news

War News Updates Editor said...

I will check on the adds. That is news to me. (I use the web version on my phone).

War News Updates Editor said...

I think I have corrected it (I chose a default option). Please give me feedback.

Nathanael Werdal said...

Seems all good now